Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Just Say No

While we were in the Judge's waiting room the day of my divorce my ex-husband reminded me (demanded, really) to call the car insurance company and have my name removed from his policy.  I had waited to start my own policy on the advice of the insurance company rep; some law requires you to name your spouse on your policy and then I'd have to get him to remove his name from my new policy, etc.   I told him it would have to wait until payday, which was yesterday.  

First thing yesterday, I called the insurance company and made the switch to my own policy.   It's $20 more per month than what I was paying as a married person, but hey, you can't buy happiness.   (actually you can...it's $422 to get divorced in the State of Florida)  I sent my ex-husband a text letting him know I changed over and that he'd probably need to call and find out what his new insurance rate is, being that he's no longer getting the "married rate".

Several hours later I get a text saying  "There's still a final payment of $116 on the 10th of this month, are you going to pay your half of it?"     Umm, how about NO?   I'm no longer on his policy.  We don't pay ahead, the payment comes out on the 10th of the month and covers the premiums until the 10th of the next month.   I was removed effective yesterday, so therefore I owe nothing, correct? 

I'm sticking to my guns and not paying it, unless everyone out there says I'm wrong, and if so I'll happily pay it.   My ex is a complete bully when it comes to money, and I've had enough. 

2 comments:

  1. If you pay ahead, then it is all his problem!He sounds like a real winner. I'm glad that you are free. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men love to treat their ex as a possible source of revenue; thankfully it sounds like that's the last possible bill he can even try to present to you.

    ReplyDelete